UPCOMING CIVIC THEATRE AUDITIONS
More information will be posted on each audition as we get close to each audition date.
NEW POSTING (07-28-15): Auditions for THE ADDAMS FAMILY MUSICAL
Civic Theatre of Allentown is proud to announce auditions for the 2015-16 Season Opening Production of “The Addams Family” Musical. The show will be presented for 10 performances in Civic’s historic 19th Street Theatre on opening on Friday, October 9 and concluding on Sunday, October 25. The role of Gomez is cast.
Auditions: Tuesday, August 18 at 6:30 pm in the upstairs rehearsal studio at Civic’s 19th Street Theatre.
THE ADDAMS FAMILY features an original story, and it’s every father’s nightmare. Wednesday Addams, the ultimate princess of darkness, has grown up and fallen in love with a sweet, smart young man from a respectable family – a man her parents have never met. And if that weren’t upsetting enough, Wednesday confides in her father and begs him not to tell her mother. Now, Gomez Addams must do something he’s never done before – keep a secret from his beloved wife, Morticia. Everything will change for the whole family on the fateful night they host a dinner for Wednesday’s ‘normal’ boyfriend and his parents.
Actors who wish to audition should do the following:
Prepare 16-32 bars of a song from “The Addams Family” or a similar musical theatre genre that shows your range and experience. An accompanist will be at the audition; actors are expected to provide sheet music.
Bring a head shot or picture in which your face is clearly visible.
Bring a list of your conflicts from audition date until the last night of the show. Rehearsals will begin shortly after auditions. Directed and choreographed by Civic’s Artistic Director, William Sanders with musical direction by Steve Reisteter, “The Addams Family” will play Civic’s Nineteenth Street Theatre on Friday, October 9 and 10 at 7:30 pm; Thursday, October 15-Saturday, October 17 at 7:30 pm; Sunday, October 18 at 2 pm; Thursday, October 22 – Saturday, October 24 at 7:30 pm, and Sunday, October 25 at 2 pm.
IF YOU CANNOT MAKE THE AUDITION DATE you may submit a video audition to email@example.com by August 15th. State you name, the piece you are singing and the role you are interested in. Please sing something from “The Addams Family” that the character you are auditioning for does in the show. If you are interested in the ensemble of Ancestors, you may sing anything that shows your range. There will be no other audition dates available.
- Morticia Addams: Holds the balance of power in the family; often seems like the only emotionally mature member of the clan. Beautiful and aristocratic, the real head of the family and the critical and moving force behind it. Always sees the best in people; it somehow comes off as strength rather than naïveté. She enjoys being the center of all the sexual energy in the room. The most horrible thing in the world to her, truly unsettling, would be admitting that one day, inevitably, she’ll be (choke!) a grandmother. Must be a great dancer who is funny and sings well, alto/mezzo soprano.
- Uncle Fester: The narrator of the piece, Fester is child-like, hugely enthusiastic and totally incorrigible. A vaudevillian, needs strong comedy and tenor voice.
- Wednesday Addams: Romantic lead, a sexy, young version of Morticia. Needs a great pop/rock style singing voice and a witty, DRY sense of humor.
- Grandmama: Ancient. Good-natured, easily led. Very active for her age, she’s like the ladies you see in Fairway, of indeterminate age, but you don’t get in their way or they’ll run you over. Character singer with strong humor.
- Pugsley Addams: Plump, adorable and FUNNY….a smaller version of Gomez. His singing voice needs to be big and unchanged.
- Lurch: A man of very, very few words, often spoken at half speed. Most of what he utters is long, plaintive groans, some tinged with irony or exasperation. Lurch sees everything, knows everything that goes on under the roof of The Addams Family manse. Must have a TRUE low bass voice.
- Colonel Mal Beinecke: Military man, a man who must be obeyed, with little patience for his wife and son. Wants to be bigger than Trump, and he’ll lie, cheat and steal for acre of swamp. Musical theater baritenor voice.
- Alice Beinecke: She truly loves her husband and loves that he takes charge; removing any responsibility from her for making decisions. However, since he has become more distant, she has taken to drink. She has refocused her love to her only son, Lucas. Must be very funny and sing well.
- Lucas Beinecke: A writer, he has conflicts with his father’s closed-minded ways. Fell in love with Wednesday at first sight. A classic co-dependent, Lucas feels good when everybody’s happy. Needs to be a great pop/rock singer.
- Ancestors: The ancestors function as the chorus of the show. They are summoned from the dead by the Addams Family at the beginning of the show. Various age levels. Soprano, Mezzo-Soprano, Alto, Tenor, Bass